Courtesy of the The Star.com | By Joel Eastwood | Originally Published 05.26.2014 | Posted 02.27.2018
As the full-service funeral has fallen out of favour, so too have traditional funeral hymns in favour of more contemporary tunes.
Pop music is played at funerals more than twice as often as hymns, according to a funeral home company in the U.K., which looked at more than 30,000 funerals to compile the top 10 charts. Not surprisingly, Frank Sinatra’s 1969 hit “My Way” consistently tops the list.
TOP 10 CONTEMPORARY SONGS
1. My Way, Frank Sinatra
2. Time to Say Goodbye, Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli
3. Wind Beneath My Wings, Bette Midler
4. Over the Rainbow, Eva Cassidy
6. You Raise Me Up, Westlife
7. You’ll Never Walk Alone, Gerry & The Pacemakers
8. We’ll Meet Again, Vera Lynn
9. My Heart Will Go On, Céline Dion
10. Unforgettable, Nat King Cole
Source: The Co-operative Funeralcare, 2012 survey.